Planet Models Vought XF5U-1 Flying Pancake, Circa 1947
By Eric Galliers
I had a great time building this and it was something different that also allowed me to try some different techniques. I thoroughly recommend this kit to anyone wanting a change of pace with a relatively easy and quick build that will stand out in the cabinet. Total build time was 1.5 months, with most of that time spent polishing!
As always, I added and modified some things as I just can't seem to handle Out of the Box...
Modifications and additions to the kit:
- RB Productions seatbelts
- Airscale decals
- Scratchbuilt the instrument panel (to allow the placement of the airscale decals)
- Added a bar over the back of the seat to replicate the seatbelt rail
- Nav lights on both rear stabilizers
- Formation lights on both stabilizers
- Opened the canopy
- Beefed up the undercarriage and added brake lines
- Added trim tabs to the rudders
© Eric Galliers 2014
This article was published on Sunday, March 09 2014; Last modified on Sunday, March 09 2014