Silver Wings 1/32 Hawker Demon MK.1 No. 22 Sqn, RAAF Richmond, Late 1930s
By Eric Galliers
This is my newly completed Silver Wings Hawker Demon.
The kit took approximately 3 months to complete and was built to represent an aircraft serving with No. 22 Sqn, RAAF, based at Richmond Airbase, New South Wales.
This particular aircraft (A1-3) was the first Hawker Demon assembled and flown in Australia, being delivered and built during 1935. It was involved in an airshow fatality in early 1936 where 2 spectators were killed when the aircraft accidentally hit them, later crash landing. After being re-built, it was passed between a few different units before finding a home with No.22 Sqn. It was involved in another crash landing during an Army co-operation exercise when it was forced to land on a road due to bad weather. It was finally converted to components in December 1937.
- Single fuel tank between top wings converted to a dual tank configuration
- Small windows in the fuselage added beneath pilot seat
- Trim tab added to rudder
- Navigation lights added to wingtips and rudder
- Various panel lines added
- Scratch built tail wheel and yoke assembly
- Scratch built ring and bead gun sight
- Scratch built `rams head' exhausts
- Scratch built outer wing hardpoints
- Scratch built Instrument panel, including Airscale decals
- Copied Bomb racks from the Hawker Hart kit
- RB productions Sutton Harnesses
- Scratch built pitot tubes and pipes
- Added fuel lines between top wing and cowl
- Re-worked radiator grilles
- Oil cooler modified to look better
- Blast deflectors added to gun barrels
- Rigging terminators scratch built on wings
- Added a Wingnut Wings Lewis gun
- Rear gun mount modified to the stowed position
- Added gun stowing bracket
- Rigged with Elastic Knitting in thread, brass tube turnbuckles
- Other stuff I may have forgotten about
- Southern Sky RAAF decals with Ventura Serials
- Tamiya AS-12 paint with AK Interactive Polished aluminium cowls
There is a build thread for this model in the forums.
© Eric Galliers 2016
This article was published on Thursday, July 07 2016; Last modified on Thursday, July 07 2016